Volunteer conduct and safety overview:
Setup clear communication guidelines between parents, mentors and participants:
- Parents must give consent for their children to participate in the program. When girls create accounts, a form will be sent to their parents.
- You need to set up communication channels between yourself and students that include the parents.
- All communication mentors have with students must be monitored by the parent or teacher. You can create a messaging group that includes mentor, parent, and the teacher.
- We do not recommend that mentors exchange phone numbers with students. Instead, teams can communicate via online monitored communications or in sessions with other adults present.
Keep student safety top-of-mind:
- Mentors should never be alone with only one student.
- Mentors should never message a student privately via social media or texting. If you decide on texting, you should always include a parent.
- Mentors should never accompany your team alone. A teacher or guardian must accompany the team on field-trips or workshops.